Digital Breast Imaging System (3D Mammogram, Selenia Dimensions, Hologic)
One of the most important "medical tools" at the Breast Center is the digital breast tomosynthesis system (selenia dimensions, 3d mammography), constructed by Hologic. It is the first Digital Breast Tomosynthesis system installed in the private sector in western Greece.
Breast Tomosynthesis – the Future in Preventive examination (Screening)
The Breast Tomotomthesis system is the latest technological development in the depiction of breast conditions, since the automatic rotation of the lamp allows the 3d imaging of the breasts, i.e. an upgrated exam compared to the Digital (2d) mammography.
Tomosynthesis (3D)-Operating principle
During the rotation of the bulb, 15 low-dose views (images) are taken, that with the appropriate software are resynthesized in slices that are 1 millimeter apart, giving the radiologist the ability to study the breast in detail, revealing areas that were concealed due to projection in the 2D images.
The technique, in terms of the method that the exam is carried out and the placement of the examinee, is not different from the technique of 2D Mammography, simply the lamp takes pictures at different angles (-7.50 to + 7.50) in a short time (3.7 sec). This system has the potential for 2D Digital Mammogram, for 3D Digital Mammography (tomosynthesis), as well as a combination of these (2d + 3d Digital Mammogram). Finally, this system has the potential of producing synthesized 2D digital mammography, which are created by the digital breast tomosynthesis, without additional charge in dosage, for the examinee (2D synthesized + 3D Digital Mammography).
Why 3D digital mammogram?
The digital tomosynthesis allows the distinction of lesions that due to tissue projection are indistinguishable or not distinct in the 2D Digital mammogram, i.e. it achieves clearer detection (as it provides the possibility of distinguishing the lesions boundaries) and diagnosis (as it provides the possibility of distinguishing benign from malignant lesions). According to recent published studies, the benefits from the 3D Digital Mammogram are the following:
- 40% increase in the detection of invasive cancers
- 27% increase in the detection of cancers (invasive and non-invasive)
- 15% reduction in false positive results.
Low dose mammogram with use of synthetic images (Synthesized 2D Digital Mammography)
The OLYMPION Breast Center is one of the 3 laboratories in Greece with Digital Mammography constructed by HOLOGIC, which has been installed and operates and disposes production software of synthetic 2D Digital Mammography (Synthesized 2D mammography, C-VIEWTM) , which is the evolution of the breast tomosynthesis technique.
The advantages of using Synthetic 2D Digital Mammography are the following :
- Through the revolutionary C-VIEWTM technique, the need for 2D Digital Mammography is completely eliminated, as the 3D imaging (tomosynthesis) creates the synthetic 2D image of the same breast.
- The synthetic 2d image (synthesized 2D, "C-VIEW") results from appropriate processing of contrast enhancement and presents with sharper definition, all the useful information and Structures of a 2D examination.
- The total dose and time, of a complete mammographic exam are significantly reduced.
- The synthetic 2D image (synthesized 2D, "C-VIEW") achieves a better display of linear structures and radial projections that are often found in masses and architectural disorders, in relation to the 2D image.
- The combination of tomosynthesis images and synthetic image, detects more masses and architectural disorders, compared to the 2D digital mammography.
3D mammography exam with HOLOGIC (Selenia Dimensions)
With regard to the 3D mammographic exam with the HOLOGIC (Selenia Dimensions) construction House system :
- It is certified as a superior exam to the simple 2D Digital mammography, according to the food and drug administration organization (FDA).
- It has been proven to be superior to the 2D Digital mammography for women with dense breast (FDA approval).
- The combination of 3D breast tomosynthesis and 2D Digital Mammography (3D+2D) is clinically proven to be more accurate (increase of sensitivity and reduction of the recall numbers) than the individual use of 2D Digital Mammography, for all types of breast.
- The combination of 3D Digital breast tomynthesis and synthesized 2D Digital Mammography (3D + synthesized 2D) has a higher performance in traceability than the individual use of 2D Digital Mammography.
- The combination of 3D Digital breast tomosynthesis and synthesized 2D Digital mammography (3D + synthesized 2D) contributes to a lower dose burden of the examinee compared to the combination of the 3D breast tomography and 2D Digital mammography (3D+ 2D).
See more: Breast Center