Nuclear Medicine Deoartment – γ Camera
The Nuclear Medicine Department is supported by state-of-the-art medical equipment and is staffed by distinguished and recognized medical and scientific personnel, which delivers high standard services to the patients, by utilizing their knowledge and experience.
The two-headed SPECT γ-Camera, enables to perform precise scintigraphy studies by offering valuable information to the clinical physicians in regards to the diagnosis and dysfunctional conditions of the examinees, such as conditions of the cardiovascular system (check of the myocardial blood supply by the coronary vessels), the skeleton (bones and articulation joints), the urinary tract (renal function), the endocrine glands (thyroid, parathyroids), as well as the tracing of tumors (i.e. guide lymph node in breast Ca, melanoma etc.), for the secure, valid and prompt diagnosis of serious conditions.
The scintigraphy studies include scintigraphies of the skeleton and articulation joints of the whole body, the tomography study of the myocardial blood supply with contemporary radiomedicines (99m-Tc Tetrofosmin, Sestamibi), for the investigation and observation of the coronary disease, the pre-operative Lymphoscintigraphy for the tracing of the guide lymphnode, the thyroid gland scintigraphy, the parathyroid glands, the kidneys as in the static scan of kidneys with DMSA, with dynamic kidney scan with DTPA, and the GFR definition, as also other contemporary scintigraphy studies and techniques that are personalized when necessary, assisting effectively the clinical doctor and the examinee.
The examinees of the Nuclear Medicine Department should not be accompanied by children and pregnant women and should follow the personnel’s instructions for radio-protection.
Static and dynamic cardiac scintigraphy with Tc99m-Sestamibi (SPECT)
The scintigraphy tomography exam of the myocardial blood supply, is the first choice exam for the evaluation of the normal or abnormal blood supply of the myocardial wall of the left ventricle of the cardiac coronary vessels (signs of ischemia), with a non-invasive, quick, safe, painless, low cost and credible method.
The most important indications and clinical applications are:
- The diagnosis of possible coronary disease. The sensitivity of the scintigraphy study of myocardial blood supply (SPECT), for the diagnosis of the coronary disease is 85-95% and the specialty 70-93%.
- The patient’s evaluation and prognosis, post acute myocardial infarction.
- Evaluation of the hemodynamic result and prognosis upon known coronary disease, post coronary angiography
- Evaluation of revascularization result post PTCA or CABG and observation.
- Evaluation of preoperative risk in patients that will be submitted to major surgery for other reason.
- Decision for further patients manipulation that appear as emergency cases with acute thoracic pain.
Preoperative Lymphoscintigraphy for the tracing of the guide lymphnode, mainly in cases of breast Ca and melanoma. It is always performed with the patient’s consent after consulting with the treating doctor and the Nuclear doctor and is included in the personalized surgical protocol.
Thyroid Scintigraphy with 99m- Tc
- Thyroid nodules investigation (“warm” - “cold”)
- Investigation of the thyroid gland enlargement (goiter)
- Hyperthyroidism etiology investigation
- Subacute thyroiditis
- Evaluation of the glands behavior in hyperthyroidism before and after the related treatment
- Investigation for ectopic thyroid tissue
- Evaluation, staging and therapeutic treatment of the thyroid Ca etc.
Bones and articulation joints scintigraphy scan – whole body
- Absolute indication and first choice exam, for the early tracing of bones localizations, for people with known or with serious suspicion of malignant neoplasm disease, as well as its staging. It precedes other methods of diagnosis, up to 18 months.
- Ostalgia of unknown etiology investigation.
- Tracing of any bone lesion, as well as soft tissue and articulation joints injuries (splitting fractures, stress fractures, scaphoid fractures, inflammations, ligament injuries, meniscal, etc.)
- Observation of Orthopedic prosthetic parts and complications evaluation, such as: inflammation, loosening, ectopic bone formation etc.
- Investigation of increased alkaline phosphatase cause.
There is no need for praeparation of the exminee. The scintigraphy scan takes place after 2 to 4 hours of the administration of the osteofilo radiomedicine and radio-protection instructions are given, mostly in regards to children and pregnant women from the patient’s environment.
Static and Dynamic kidneys Scintigraphy
The renogram is the exam of choice for the evaluation of the renal function as a whole or for each kidney, separately, in a simple, quick, safe, painless and reliable way. All phases of the renal function are examined, meaning the blood supply, the infiltration and the discharge and accurate information is given for every variation or disorder of each kidney, separately.
- Determination and observation of the renal subfunction (renal deficiency), transplanted kidney examination – early ascertainment of graft dismissal, examination and evaluation of obstructive uropathy, determination and observation of acute glomerulonephritis and acute tubular necrosis, tracing and ectopic kidney function evaluation, hypertention cause examination (kidneys, idiopathic etc), precise definition of the absolute renal function in smaller sized kidney, shrunken kidney, hypoplastic, ectopic with pyelonephritic scars etc.
Therapeutic administration of 131-iodine for the treatment of Hyperthyroidism.